Thursday, October 1, 2015

My Book Marketing "Ah-ha!"

By Misty M Beller @MistyMBeller



My Big "Ah-ha!"
ideaOver the past few months, I've been under several intense writing deadlines, and had to step back from my regular book marketing schedule. I still kept up a few high-return advertising activities (see what those are at THIS POST), but my focus was mostly on writing to meet deadlines.
During this time, I was able release one book each month for four out of five months. So many of us have heard that nothing markets your books like producing more books, however I've recently learned the hard way that statement isn't quite true - at least for me. Even with so many new books being released over the last five months, my sales have steadily declined. Not enough to create widespread panic, but enough for me to realize the truth of the following equation:

New high-quality books your readers will love + Consistent marketing for existing books = Strong, steady book sales addition_sign
Why does it take both? Let's look at each part of the equation.
When you release new books, the initial purchases are primarily made by your existing readership. Especially if you've built an email list to announce new book releases to your readership. Until you reach new readers, this pool of existing readers is limited.
So how do you reach new readers? Marketing.
Which brings me to the second part of the equation. Marketing is what introduces your books to new readers and increases your book's discoverability. Within certain parameters, the more marking you do, the more new readers will find your book. Of course, good marketing means you're promoting to your target audience and participating in high ROI marketing activities.
So now that I've learned this invaluable equation (and my deadlines are behind me), I'm shifting my focus back to a more balanced schedule. My goal is to spend my time with 75% on writing and 25% on marketing activities. That should put me on track for the sum I want to achieve:
New high-quality books your readers will love + Consistent marketing for existing books = Strong, steady books sales 
So now, I'd love to hear from you! What are your thoughts and experiences related to the marketing/new book equation?


Misty M. Beller writes Christian historical romance, and is author of the bestselling novels The Lady and the Mountain Man and The Lady and the Mountain Doctor.

Misty was raised on a farm in South Carolina, so her Southern roots run deep. About eleven years ago, she made a career change from farm life into the business world, where she worked as a Senior Manager and Director of Process & Training. She's now loving the life of a full-time writer, wife, and mother.

1 comment:

  1. Misty, I am amazed that you've written four books in FIVE months. WOW! And this is a great write up about what you've learned. I'm tweeting it and printing it out.
    Hugs,
    Elva

    ReplyDelete